Wednesday, April 8, 2009

To grow a pineapple


Ok... I know this sounds really silly, but before I went to Hawaii the first time, I had no idea how pineapples grew. I actually thought they grew on trees. Ummm, now I know better. The cool thing I just found out is that you can grow a new plant from just taking the top off the one you're about to eat, remove the flesh, pull off a few bottom leaves and stick into dirt. So, I'm gonna give it a try here in Montana in a pot that I set out on the deck and bring in when the weather turns. I've got a great sunny window too. This will give me something to remind me of Hawaii when we're not there. Damn, it's hard to grow stuff here! Of course this is depending upon if I can even find a pineapple here. I'm sure the one's we get have been radiated, so wonder if they will even grow.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am curious to see how it does! My mom moved from Hawaii to Houston Texas years ago (she is back home in Hawaii now) and while she was there she grew plumerias, ti-leaves (that's what the locals call ti's) white ginger flowers and a few other Hawaiian plants. She had to move them indoors and take them back out during the change of seasons, but all in all was proud and glad of her accomplishments. So go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be fun to try to grow a coffee plant. Any suggestions of where I can get a start shipped to the mainland for Kona Coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how ironic, i just returned from a weekend in Kona (about 120 miles from where I live). I will look around and let you know.

    ReplyDelete